Temperature Master is an Amazon Associate. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may also earn commissions if you purchase products from other retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
An oven’s Sabbath Mode is a setting that allows people to use their ovens on specific holy days. This setting is convenient for kosher families, but turning the Sabbath Mode off can be confusing once the holiday is over, especially since every make and model of oven functions differently.
To turn off Sabbath mode on most oven brands, double-check the manual to see which buttons or icons need to be pressed and in which order. Some ovens will turn Sabbath mode off automatically after 72 hours, while others require a few simple steps, such as pressing the display for three seconds.
Since the instructions for turning off Sabbath Mode on each appliance differ, you’ll need to follow the steps for your particular oven. However, I’ve put together a simple guide that will help you adjust the Sabbath settings for almost any model range, making it easy to turn off your Sabbath Mode.
What Is Sabbath Mode, and How Does It Work?
The Sabbath Mode is a unique setting featured on household appliances. It allows practitioners of various faiths to comply with their religious ordinances while using electronics on holy days.
Sabbath mode turns off the lights, sounds, and electronic displays, making warming up food possible during holy days. In addition, since electronics and labor are prohibited on certain days, Sabbath mode allows an oven to stay on past the usual 12-hour limit so food can be warmed throughout the day.
Sabbath Mode can override the 12-hour automatic shutoff pre-programmed in most ovens, leaving the oven on for 72 hours or more at a low temperature.
This mode makes cooking accessible for many people whose faith would otherwise prohibit them from using their ovens. However, if you need to turn off this feature, don’t worry – it’s a relatively simple process.
Below I’ll cover how to turn off Sabbath mode on 12 popular oven brands.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a GE Oven
All GE ovens have the option to use Sabbath Mode. However, the instructions for setting and disabling Sabbath Mode vary greatly depending on the oven model you have.
That said, most GE ovens and ranges use a typical setting to turn off Sabbath Mode. So, check if these instructions work before you go searching for an owner’s manual.
The LED screen will display a backward “C” symbol if Sabbath Mode is turned on on most GE ovens.
To turn off Sabbath Mode on most GE ovens, you will need to:
- Hold down the “Bake” and “Broil” keypads down together until your LED screen says “SF.”
- Next, press the “Delay Start” keypad until your LED screen says “12 Shdn.”
- Press “Start.”
After following these steps, the backward “C” should disappear, indicating that your oven is no longer in Sabbath Mode.
For a helpful guide, follow along with this YouTube video from GE Appliances:
If you have any doubts or cannot get Sabbath Mode to turn off, you can use your oven’s owner’s manual for guidance.
If you don’t have your oven’s owner’s manual, don’t worry. You can find a downloadable copy for most GE oven models on the GE support website here.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Whirlpool Oven
Instructions for disabling Sabbath mode will depend on whether your Whirlpool is a double or single oven. However, these are relatively simple to follow, and the instructions for all models are very similar.
Whirlpool Single Ovens
Disabling Sabbath Mode on a Whirlpool single oven is simple. All you have to do is:
- Open your oven door.
- Press the “Cancel/Off” keypad.
- Press the number pads “7, 8, 9, 6” in order.
- Press the “Cancel/Off” key again.
- When “Sab OFF” appears on your LED display, press “Cancel/Off” to disable sabbath mode.
- Then, close your oven door, and you are finished.
Whirlpool Double Ovens
For Whirlpool ovens with two separate compartments, you will need to disable each one separately.
To disable Whirlpool double ovens:
- Open the door of your upper oven.
- Press the “Cancel/Off” keypad that turns off your upper oven.
- Press the number pads “7, 8, 9, 6” in order.
- Press the upper oven’s “Cancel/Off” key again.
- When “Sab OFF” appears on your LED display, press “Cancel/Off” for your upper oven to disable Sabbath Mode.
- Close the upper oven door.
- Repeat these steps for the bottom oven if Sabbath Mode is enabled for it.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Samsung Oven
If you have a Samsung electric or gas oven and range, your steps for turning off Sabbath Mode will differ from those for a slide-in range.
Samsung Electric or Gas Range
These instructions will work for the following Samsung models:
Samsung ovens set in Sabbath Mode will not display the oven’s temperature on the LED screen, and they won’t make any sounds. They will also lock your light settings, so make sure you turn the light on or off before using Sabbath Mode.
To turn off Sabbath Mode on your Samsung oven:
- Simultaneously hold down the “Timer On/Off” key and the “Power” key.
- Hold the keys down for three seconds until the “Sab” indicator disappears from your oven’s LED screen.
- Now, the setting is disabled, and your oven should function normally.
Samsung Slide-In Range
These instructions will work for the following Samsung models:
To turn off Sabbath Mode on a Samsung slide-in range, you will need to:
- Simultaneously hold down “Bake/Chef Bake” keys and “Touch to Wake Up” keys.
- Hold both keys down for 3 seconds until the “Sab” disappears from your oven’s LED display.
- You’re done!
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Maytag Oven
If you have a Maytag oven with a touchpad display, your oven’s display screen will say “Sabbath Mode” while it is enabled.
If this is the case, press your finger to the touchscreen display for around three seconds until the standard time display appears. That’s all it takes to turn off the Sabbath Mode setting.
However, if your Maytag doesn’t have a touchscreen, turning off Sabbath Mode is still pretty easy if your Maytag doesn’t have a touchscreen. Just press the “Cancel” pad on your oven, and Sabbath Mode will turn off.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Frigidaire Oven
Frigidaire ovens with Sabbath Mode settings all have the same controls for disabling it. So, no matter whether you have an electric, gas, or induction oven, these instructions should work for you.
To turn off Sabbath Mode on your Frigidaire oven:
- Simultaneously hold down the “Bake” and “Set Time” keypads.
- Hold the keys down for three seconds.
- Afterward, your oven will play a tone, and “Sab” will disappear from your oven’s control display.
- That’s all you need to do to turn Sabbath Mode off.
If you need help or want to learn more about your oven’s Sabbath Mode, take a look at this helpful YouTube tutorial from Frigidaire:
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on an Amana Oven
On Amana ovens, Sabbath Mode will automatically turn off after 72 hours. However, you can still manually disable it.
To cancel Sabbath Mode on an Amana oven:
- Press the “Cancel” button to see if it will turn off Sabbath Mode (this method works on some models).
- If the “SAb” indicator is still on your LED control screen, press and hold down the “Clock” button for around five seconds.
- The “SAb” indicator will flash for five seconds, and then the standard time display will return to your oven’s control panel.
- Once your oven no longer says “SAb,” Sabbath Mode is disabled, and you can use your oven as usual.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Wolf Oven
If you have a Wolf oven and range, disabling Sabbath Mode is a breeze. It just takes one step to turn Sabbath Mode off.
To turn off Sabbath Mode on any model of Wolf brand oven, all you have to do is press the “Off” keypad on the oven’s control display. That’s it – you’re done!
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a KitchenAid Oven
Most KitchenAid ovens have the same steps when it comes to enabling and disabling Sabbath Mode.
To turn off Sabbath Mode on your Kitchenaid oven:
- Open the oven door.
- Hold down the number “6” on your oven’s controls for 6 seconds until the display screen no longer says “Sab/Sabbath.”
- Close the oven door.
If these steps don’t work, you may have an older KitchenAid oven model with different instructions. Check your oven’s user manual on the KitchenAid Service and Support website for more help and specific instructions.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Kenmore Oven
While most Kenmore ovens use the same settings for disabling Sabbath Mode, some of them may have specific instructions that apply only to that model.
However, all Kenmore Elite ovens use the same settings, so restoring yours to its normal function should be a piece of cake.
Kenmore Elite Oven
To turn off Sabbath Mode on your Kenmore Elite Oven:
- Simultaneously press and hold down the “Cook Time” and “Delay Start” buttons on your oven.
- Hold the buttons down until you hear a beeping sound.
- Sabbath Mode should be turned off, and you should see the regular time display on your oven’s screen.
Other Kenmore Electric and Gas Oven Ranges
On many Kenmore ovens other than the Kenmore Elite, turning off Sabbath Mode takes one simple step.
To disable Sabbath Mode, just press and hold down the oven light control keypad until the oven beeps and “Sab/Sabbath” disappears from your oven’s display.
However, if neither of these options works for you, you may need to find your user guide and manual. If you don’t know where your manual is, you can easily access your oven’s manual on the Sears Parts Direct website here.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Bosch Oven
For most Bosch ovens, you can cancel Sabbath Mode by pressing the oven’s “Clear/Off” button. Then, your oven will return to its normal functions until you reactivate Sabbath Mode again.
It is important to note that if you have a Bosch double oven, you can only use one of them in Sabbath Mode at a time. So, when you try to disable Sabbath Mode, you will need to press the “Cancel/Off” button that corresponds with the oven you have been using during your holy day.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on an LG Oven
If you have an LG oven, the “Sb” indicator on your oven’s display will let you know if the Sabbath Mode is on. For the most part, LG oven models all use the same Sabbath Mode settings, so it should be easy to disable it on your oven.
Here’s how to disable Sabbath Mode for most LG ovens:
- Once you’re ready, press down the “Settings” button on your oven and hold it down for at least three seconds.
- Once your oven’s standard time display reappears and the “Sb” indicator is gone, you will know that the Sabbath Mode setting is off.
If that doesn’t work for you, try pressing the “Clear/Off Button” and see if the “Sb” indicator clears. If not, don’t worry. You may need to find your user manual if you have an older LG oven.
If you don’t know where yours is, you can find it here at the LG Support website with a quick search using your model number.
How To Turn Sabbath Mode Off on a Thermador Oven
Disabling Sabbath Mode is quick and easy with a Thermador oven. For most models, all you have to do is press your oven’s “Off” or “Cancel” button to clear the Sabbath setting.
Thermador double ovens also only activate Sabbath Mode for one oven at a time. So, if you have a double oven, you will need to press the “Off” or “Cancel” button for the oven that is still warm.