Skip to Content

Can You Leave a Pellet Stove on All Night?

Pellet stoves are a modern and automated alternative to traditional forms of wood stoves and fireplaces. That said, these appliances do use real fire to provide heating to your home. So, is it safe to leave a pellet stove on all night and unattended?

You can leave a pellet stove on all night and day long, as they are designed for 24/7 operations. However, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines when using it and routinely clean it to avoid soot build-up. Poorly maintained pellet stoves can create accidents.

In this article, I’ve put together an in-depth look at how safe it is to leave a pellet stove running overnight or unattended. Following that, I’ve also shared a few pointers on what you can do to ensure maximum safety from your pellet stove.

Is It Safe To Leave a Pellet Stove on Overnight?

You may worry about leaving appliances on overnight in your house, since you might think it will jack up your bills, or worse, cause a fire. Thankfully, you needn’t be too concerned about pellet stoves. 

It’s safe to leave a pellet stove on overnight as it won’t cause overheating, underheating, or accidentally start a fire. A pellet stove uses advanced technologies to automatically start or stop heating based on the room temperature. They also have built-in safeguards to avoid fire breakouts.

Almost every modern pellet stove has built-in sensors that analyze the surrounding temperatures to adjust the stove flame accordingly. As such, even if you leave it unattended overnight, the stove will not make your house too hot or too cold and ensure a cozy sleep.

Other than this, modern pellet stoves can also detect if there’s something wrong or the fire has gotten out of control. In that case, they’ll turn off the burning process and kill the fire.

However, these features might be absent if you use a relatively old pellet stove. I’d always recommend that you check the guide or handbook that came with your pellet stove to see what safety precautions are in place.

If you see that it lacks a proper safeguard against a fire breakout, I’d suggest not leaving it on overnight or unattended.

Things Pellet Stove Owners Should Know To Maximize Safety

A pellet stove is a modern heating appliance that uses tons of advanced technology to ensure safe, prolonged heating, even if it’s left unattended. That said, it still creates a fire as a heat source, and fires are inherently dangerous. As such, you need to follow safety precautions to minimize the risk of any possible mishaps.

Here are 3 things every pellet stove owner should know to maximize their safety:

  • Routinely clean and maintain your pellet stove
  • A pellet stove will not work without electricity
  • There’s a slight risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

Let’s go over each of these points to better understand how your pellet stove works and what you can do to ensure prolonged safe functioning.

Routinely Clean and Maintain Your Pellet Stove

Since your pellet stove is burning pellet fuel to create an actual flame, there will be some soot build-up. If you don’t clean it regularly, it can jam up the vents and other internal components, which can cause the pellet stove to malfunction.

Likewise, a pellet stove uses intricate electronic mechanisms to automate your home heating. These need to be routinely serviced, or they might not work as intended.

If you don’t properly clean or maintain your pellet stove, it can cause problems. For example, the stove can set up an abnormally big fire which can rise to reach the hopper that stores all the pellets. If that happens, it can lead to a fire breakout or even an explosion if there are enough pellets.

This is why it’s crucial that you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on cleaning and maintaining the appliance.

A Pellet Stove Will Not Work Without Electricity

A pellet stove needs electricity to function properly. In case of a power outage, the pellet stove will shut down, and all the sensors, along with the other automation features, will cease to work. 

So, what happens to the fire burning inside the pellet stove?

Unfortunately, the fire stays lit.

In the case of a small fire, it’ll eventually die out after burning through the available pellet fuel. The main consequence is that your house/room will get colder.

Likewise, it can also happen that the stove created a big fire and then the power went out. In that case, the stove can’t control (decrease) the flame if necessary, and the flame can become too big and dangerous. 

As such, if you have a pellet stove and you regularly leave it unattended, I’d strongly recommend keeping it connected to a backup power source to avoid these types of mishaps.

There’s a Slight Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Where there’s burning of any fuel source, there’s the subtle risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is no joke, and if you inhale too much of the gas, it can become lethal.

That said, pellet stoves aren’t known to let out carbon monoxide, at least not as much quantity necessary to pose a danger. However, at the same time, there’s no 100% guarantee that it is CO-free.

I follow a simple mantra in these types of situations – it’s better to be safe than sorry.

As such, I always recommend pellet stove owners install a CO detector. 

If you don’t have one already, I’d suggest getting the Kidde Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector (available on It’s battery-powered – meaning it’ll work in times of a power outage, and it lets out a high 85-decibel alarm, so you immediately know if there’s a fire or CO leak.

Kidde Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector

Key Takeaways

Modern pellet stoves are designed for 24/7 usage, and you can keep them turned on overnight. 

However, you need to routinely clean and maintain the stove or else the device can malfunction and cause an accident. 

A pellet stove also needs electricity for its automation features. As such, make sure it’s connected to a backup power supply so it keeps operating smoothly in case of a power outage.

There’s also a slight risk of carbon monoxide poisoning with pellet stoves. This is why I recommend installing a CO detector for safe measures.


  • Steve Rajeckas

    Steve Rajeckas is an HVAC hobbyist with an avid interest in learning innovative ways to keep rooms, buildings, and everything else at the optimal temperature. When he's not working on new posts for Temperature Master, he can be found reading books or exploring the outdoors.

As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We may also earn commissions if you purchase products from other retailers after clicking on a link from our site.