If you want a perfect summer swim, your pool must be fresh and free from dirt, debris, and harmful microorganisms. To achieve this, you need pool equipment such as pool cleaners, heaters, filters, and pumps for a flawless swim and a wonderful time.
Every year, pool owners pay $1,400 for pool maintenance. Not only is it costly, but it is also time-consuming to clean pools yourself. That’s where automatic pool cleaners come in handy. They’re energy-efficient, environment-friendly, cost-effective, and have a great degree of effectiveness when it comes to cleaning your pool.
In this article, I will present some of the best pool cleaners you can use to maintain a clean pool throughout the year, along with additional equipment such as pool heaters, filters, and pumps that you might find helpful. I will also answer some FAQs at the end, so if you don’t want to miss out, read to the end.
Cleaning a pool by yourself can be tricky. It’s time-consuming, and hiring a professional to do it for you can be costly. Using robotic pool cleaners is a simple, cost-effective solution that will save you time and money.
However, you might find choosing the best pool cleaner challenging since there are so many brands. Well, there’s no need to worry because I have tried out and tested countless pool cleaners. Based on my experience with these products, I will list the best eight I recommend you choose from.
How I Selected the Pool Equipment on My List
I have a pool at home, and cleaning it can get tricky. While making this list, I considered the following factors:
- My experience with the products
- Ease of use
- Customer reviews
- Features provided by the product
- The time it takes to clean the pool
The first product on this list is the Intex 28005E ZX300 Deluxe Automatic Pool Cleaner. Here are the product’s main features: :
- Speed of up to 7 meters per minute
- Pressure side cleaner
- Powerful 700 GPH water-powered suction
- Water-powered all-wheel drive for swift cleaning action and superior wall-climbing performance
- Intex pump flow rate of 1,600-3,500 GPH
- Rotating dual dirt scrubbers for cleaning even the finest and hard-to-remove dirt up to the water line
- Fine 6-gauge mesh filter for capturing even the finest debris
- 0.48 gal large capacity debris canister
- 21ft 4in non-tangle hose
However, the pool cleaner is relatively easily damaged compared to other products. So it requires extra care. In addition to that, it does not pick larger objects more than 3 inches or so. That said, it is still a relatively cost-effective option that will get the job done.
The Dolphin M400 has several outstanding features, including:
- Plug’n’Play, which allows you to simply put it into your pool, and it will clean the pool without any hassle.
- Easy Access, Top Load Filter, enables you to clean the filter without coming in contact with the debris.
- MyDolphin™ Plus mobile app that will allow you to control the pool cleaner remotely through your phone
- A weekly timer and automation mode
- A cable length of 60 feet
- Cleans the floor, walls, and waterline
- Three active brushes
- An Anti Tangling Swivel
- Suction rate of 4,500 GPH
- Cleans a pool size of up to 50 feet
- Suitable for pools with different designs
The only drawback to this pool cleaner is its price. The price ranges from $1,300 to $1,500, which might not be something everyone can afford. That said, it is very long-lasting and durable, so it should last you quite some time, making it worth its cost.
Pentair K50600 Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner is one of the best pool cleaners for your above-ground pool. It provides excellent features, including:
- 32 feet hose
- Highly effective hydraulic design that provides the perfect amount of vacuum suction
- No wheels or gears; instead, there is just one moving component, the flapper.
- Water flow regulation by the free skimming valve allows optimum cleaning speed while skimming off the dirt and debris on the surface.
- Works perfectly in both flat and curved-bottomed pools
It is available at just $218 at the time of writing this article. It is affordable and has excellent pool cleaning ability. However, there are some downsides to using this, such as it being quite noisy and having the tendency to get stuck on steps. This can destroy the surface beneath due to aggressive cleaning at one spot as the cleaner exerts additional force trying to move forwards. Also, the hose is only 32 feet, so it might be useless if you have a much larger pool.
Aiper Seagull 3000
This should be your choice if you’re looking for a cordless pool cleaner. The Aiper Seagull 3000 has many features that you will enjoy including:
- 120 Watt suction power
- 7800 mAh battery
- 120 minutes runtime
- 3229 sq. feet of coverage
- Smart app controls
- Auto parking
- Auto swerve
- Wall climbing ability
- Cleans pool floor, walls, and waterline
- Thorough pool cleaning, including stones up to 1 cm and leaves up to 13 cm
It is priced between $700 and $800. It provides several great features while having a decent price. The main advantage of a cordless pool is that there won’t be any issues, such as tangling over the cord or the hose getting bent or twisted. There may be some issues with the battery over time. As expected, battery life might degrade, requiring replacement.
The Dolphin S50 is much more affordable at $1,100. It possesses some excellent features as well:
- Plug’n’Play allows you to simply drop it in the pool, and it cleans independently.
- Easy Access Top Load Filter that enables you to clean it without coming in contact with the debris.
- CleverClean™ Smart Navigation that allows maximum pool coverage.
- Cable length of 40 feet.
- Robot weight of only 14 lb
- Suction rate of 4000 GPH
- Can operate in a pool size of 30 feet.
- Can be used in different types of pool shapes.
While several hundred dollars cheaper than the M400, the Dolphin S50 provides excellent usable features. However, it is still more expensive than other products on this list. The cable length is also limited and unsuitable for pools over 30 feet. It also lacks remote control via an app seen in the Dolphin M400. It is also limited to cleaning the floor.
Dolphin Active 20
Yet another product from Maytronics. The Dolphin Active 20 has the following features.
- Weekly timer and automation mode
- Easy Access Top Load Filter
- A robot weight of just 18 lb
- A cable length of 60 feet
- Cleans the floor, walls, and waterline
- Two active brushes
- Anti tangling swivel
- A suction rate of 4,000 GPH
- Cleans a pool size of 40 feet
- Applicable on various shapes and sizes of pools
The Dolphin Active 20 is available at $1,199, which is $100 greater than the S50 but provides many more features. The features are similar to the M400 but lack connectivity through the Dolphin app. Also, the pool size it can clean is 40 feet compared to 50 feet on the M400. It is also very cost-effective and long-lasting.
Hayward Tiger Shark
The Hayward Tiger Shark provides several variants to choose from. The features include:
- Remote control
- Cleaning pool floor, walls, coves, and waterline
- Cleaning cycle of 3 hours
- Cleaning pool size of up to 20′ x 40′
- Cord length of 55 feet
- Weight of just 21.5 lb
The Hayward W3RC9990CUB TigerShark costs $1,119 at the time of writing. The price is on the higher end, but it provides similar features as a Dolphin M400 while being several hundred dollars cheaper. However, it isn’t as durable as some other brands, and as you remove it from the pool to clean it, the debris it has picked up can drop out.
The Pentair Dorado comes with the following features:
- Deep scrubbing action and a large-sized vacuum inlet allow thorough cleaning via the Bristle Drive Technology
- Easy navigation around the pool due to its SmartTrac Programmed Steering that avoids obstacles and allows fast, uninterrupted, and efficient cleaning
- A 15-inch wide cleaning path for rapid cleaning
- No assembly is required; just hook it to a hose and go.
The Pentair Dorado is available for as low as $619. You can also purchase its parts for DIY repairs at online stores. It costs less than other brands, such as Dolphin and Hayward, and provides fast cleaning. However, it is still a bit pricey and can get stuck on certain parts of the pool. In addition to that, it isn’t very durable and may require maintenance every few months.
The next product you should consider purchasing is a pool heater. Pool heaters will keep the temperature at the required level, making it comfortable and hygienic, especially if you live in a cold area. There are several great options available when considering pool heaters. Try out Pentair MasterTemp 400K for all-year-round comfort.
You should also consider purchasing pool filters. Having clean, fresh water is not only good for swimming but is also safe for you. Pool filters will help free your pool water from dirt, debris, insects, bacteria, and other fine particles.
Regarding pool filters, I recommend you try out cartilage filters due to their easy cleaning, reliable micron density, and simple maintenance procedures. I tried the Pentair Clean & Clear 320 Filter and was exceptionally pleased by its effectiveness.
If you want proper water circulation in your pool and want to ensure that your pool water stays clean and fresh, then pool pumps are a must. If you’re searching for the best pool pumps for your in-ground pool, I recommend trying out Hayward MaxFlo VS Pump. It is quiet, circulates the water rapidly, and is cost-effective.
The best pool equipment for a perfect summer swim includes a pool cleaner, pool heater, pool filter, and pool pump. The pool cleaner will clean the pool and make the water fresh for you to enjoy. The pool heaters will provide you with a comfortable experience all year long. Pool filters will get rid of any dirt and debris from your pool. With pool pumps, you can circulate clean water around the pool for everyone to have a nice soothing summer swim.
- How does the Dolphin M400 pool cleaner compare to other models?
Dolphin M400 provides the most features compared to other pool cleaners. It is also suitable for cleaning large pools, and you can control it via the Dolphin app. However, while it provides the most features, it is also the most expensive of the pool cleaners on this list.
- What makes the Aiper Seagull 3000 pool cleaner stand out from its competitors?
The Aiper Seagull 3000 pool cleaner is a cost-effective choice when it comes to pool cleaners, and it also provides excellent features. Still, what sets it apart from other pool cleaners is that it is entirely cordless and can climb walls easily. It, therefore, prevents any cord-related issues and accidents.
- Can the Dolphin S50 pool cleaner effectively clean larger pools?
The Dolphin S50 pool cleaner has a cable length of 40 feet and can clean a pool size of up to 30 feet. Therefore, if your pool is larger than 30 feet in dimension, then the Dolphin S50 pool cleaner will not be the most effective choice for cleaning your pool, and you should consider alternative options.